Are you looking for the best apps to read free books? Yes? Here are some of the best apps to read books wherever you want.
We have to admit that technology makes our life easier. Nowadays, you’ll find many apps that make your reading convenient.
It might be troublesome to carry physical books if you love to read wherever you go. In that case, you should consider using reading apps to make reading convenient.
A reading app will allow you to read ebooks (electronic books) wherever you go. Moreover, you’ll get an extensive library of ebooks.
Usually, there are two types of reading apps available, such as:
- A reading app that provides an extensive library of downloadable books.
- A reading app that will allow you to open third-party book files on your device.
Unfortunately, all reading apps are not free. You’ll have to pay to unlock premium features. It doesn’t mean you can’t read books for free.
Here I’ve compiled a list of the best apps to read free books. All you have to do is choose the best app that is convenient for you.
The Best Apps To Read Free Books
There are so many benefits of using reading apps to read books. You can open an ebook on your mobile device to enjoy reading. Also, you’ll be able to read free books from the app library.
1. Amazon Kindle
Amazon Kindle is the most popular way to read ebooks. Many people think you need a Kindle device to install Amazon Kindle, which is not fact. Amazon Kindle can be used on macOS, Windows, iOS, and Android.
Amazon Kindle has an extensive collection of books, including thousands of magazines, comics, and audiobooks. However, you’ll have to purchase them. You can read a sample of the book before buying it. Also, there are many free books available to download.
Amazon Kindle has many features that make your reading fun and knowledgeable, such as:
- Dictionary & X-Ray: This feature will allow you to understand the words and characters you don’t know or recognize.
- Adjust the Font: It allows you to customize font size, type, margins, text alignment, background color, and more.
- Track Your Reading Progress: It shows you where you’re in your book and how much time you’ve left in the chapter or book.
- Record Your Thoughts: You’ll be able to capture and mark important moments in your book.
- Hop, Skim, and Jump: You can flip between pages or get a bird’s eye view of your book.
- Switch to Audiobooks: You can switch from reading your book to listening to an audible audiobook.
Amazon Kindle is free to download. It offers many free books to read wherever you want.
Download Amazon Kindle:
2. Google Play Books
Google Play Books is a product of Google. It was formerly known as Google eBooks. Although it’s not as intuitive as other reading apps, Google Play Books works perfectly on all devices.
Google Play Books doesn’t offer many customization options. However, Google Play Books has more than 10 million free books available for users to download and read. They’re expanding their book library all the time.
With more than ten million free books, Google Play Books is one of the best apps to read free books anywhere you want.
3. Rakuten Kobo
With more than 6 million eBooks, Kobo is one of the best apps for reading books. Kobo allows you to read eBooks on the device you prefer, such as Kobo eReaders, a desktop, a smartphone, or a tablet.
Kobo offers many eBooks and audiobooks for free. However, most of its books are available for purchase. Kobo comes with many reader-friendly features, such as:
- You’ll be able to customize font type and size.
- It has a built-in dictionary along with features for taking notes and highlighting.
- It provides a day or night mode to protect your eyes.
- It syncs your reading.
Therefore, Kobo is one of the best apps to read free books wherever you want.
Oodles might be the best app to read free books. Oodles has over 50,000 free eBooks and audiobooks in its catalog. It’s available on both Android and iOS. All books are free. However, it does contain ads. You can subscribe at $19.99 per year to remove ads.
Oodles makes it easier for readers to read books with a user-friendly interface. Also, readers can search for the book using several categories like the author, popularity, publisher, etc. Moreover, readers can customize the font size, type, and background color.
Scribd is another platform that offers millions of books, audiobooks, magazines, podcasts, sheet music, and documents. You can access the whole library for a subscription. However, Scribd has a 30-day trial offer for new readers.
Scribd is available on both Android and iOS. Scribd comes with many features, like:
- Scribd syncs with all your devices.
- Customize the font size and type.
- Adds notes to the pages.
- It’s possible to adjust the speed of audiobook narration.
You can download the books. However, downloaded books will have an expiration date. Although Scribd is not a free platform, it’s worth joining.
Wattpad is the world’s most-loved social storytelling platform. It has over 90 million users of readers and writers. If you join Wattpad as a reader, you’ll get to read free books from new writers. On the other hand, you can publish your own books on this platform.
You can browse its library by genre, such as science fiction, poetry, horror, short story, non-fiction, paranormal, etc. Also, books are available in different languages like English, Portuguese, French, Deutch, Spanish, and more. Wattpad is available on both Android and iOS.
The Best Apps To Read eBooks
As you might know, you need an app to read eBooks. Here are some of the best apps that’ll help you to read downloaded eBooks.
Readera is a reading app that’ll help you to read downloaded eBooks. This app makes your reading experience seamless. In addition to reading books, it’s suitable for magazines and documents.
Readera supports multiple formats: ePub, MOBI, AZW3, Fb2, PDF, DOC, DOCX, RTF, CBR, CBZ, and others. You can also group books by author and series. Moreover, this app comes with many reader-friendly features.
Unfortunately, Readera is not available for iOS users.
FBReader is a popular eBook reader with over 30 million installs. This app works on iOS, Android, Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and Chrome OS. FBReader supports many eBook formats, including ePub, Mobi, fb2, HTML, RTF, and plain text. The primary formats are ePub and fb2.
FBReader comes with many features, such as:
- Online storage for your electronic library.
- Store books in your Google Drive™ space.
- Organise books by authors, series, etc.
- Synchronise book collection, reading positions, and bookmarks across devices.
- Add a book from your desktop computer to all your devices. Manage your library online.
- Easy access from the web browser and directly from FBReader.
As you can see, there are many apps to read free books. All you have to do is choose the best app that is convenient for you. Also, I’ve featured a couple of reading apps to read ebooks for free.
If reading is your hobby, you should consider using one of these apps to read free books. Each app offers reader-friendly functionalities.
What do you think about these apps to read free books? Let me know in the comment!