Are you willing to participate in paid research studies? Yes? User Interviews is an online paid research platform. It connects researchers with participants. As a participant, you’ll be able to make extra money by participating in online and in-person paid research studies.
As you may know, there are many online paid research platforms available. Among them, very few are legit. Is User Interviews fall under the fraudulently paid research platforms? This User Interviews review will help you to determine whether it’s legit.
Here I’ll try to answer the following questions:
- What is User Interviews?
- Is User Interviews Legit?
- Who is eligible to Join User Interviews?
- How to Join User Interviews as a Participant?
- How to Participate in Paid Research Studies?
- What are the types of Research Studies available?
- How does User Interviews Referral Program Works?
- User Interviews Best Practices
- How do they pay their Participants?
- How much can you make on User Interviews?
So, let’s get started!
What is User Interviews?
User Interviews is a market research company that connects researchers and participants. They recruit participants to participate in paid research studies. As a participant, you’ll be able to make money by participating in paid research studies.
User Interviews help companies to improve their products. For that reason, they recruit participants like you, who give their honest feedback. As a participant, you’ll be able to give your opinion on new product ideas and prototypes, test an app or website, and talk about your life experience. In exchange for your feedback, you’ll get paid.
Is User Interviews Legit?
Before going further, we need to know whether the User Interviews is legit. The straightforward answer is YES.
User Interviews company has been around since 2016. As of today, they have recruited more than 2.1m participants. Moreover, they’ve paid over $16.5 million in incentives.
User Interviews work with top companies like:
User Interviews has many positive reviews. Here are a few of them:
“Fast, cheap, effective. User Interviews is everything I need and nothing I don’t. I love it and recommend it to everyone!”Michelle Avelis (Sr. Design Researcher at REI)
“I would recommend this product to anyone!”Phil Gordon (Head of UX Research at SkillShare)
“The service is great and the price point is perfect. We use it as an alternative to the more expensive services.”Cassandra Torda (UI/UX Designer at Egnyte)
User Interviews is one of the best platforms to participate in paid research studies. It has gained lots of trust over the years. So, we can claim it’s a legit paid research platform.
Who is eligible to Join User Interviews?
User Interviews is available worldwide. Participants can join this platform from all around the world. However, it’s a US-based company. Most of its clients are from the US. For that reason, the majority of studies are for US residents.
User Interviews recruit participants from the US, Canada, Germany, the UK, Australia, France, and South Africa. If you live outside these countries, you can join User Interviews. However, you may not qualify for many studies.
The minimum requirement to participate in studies is 13 years. However, the majority of studies require 18 years.
How to Join User Interviews as a Participant?
User Interviews prefer participants from the US, Canada, Australia, the UK, Germany, Australia, France, and South Africa. Nevertheless, User Interviews allow everyone to join as a participant.
Follow the below steps to join as a participant:
- Go to the User Interviews homepage
- Hover on the “For Participants” menu and choose “Sign Up to Participate.”
- Three sign-up options are available: Email, LinkedIn, and Facebook. Choose the convenient option to join as a participant.
No matter which option you choose, you have to verify your phone number. After that, you’ll have to complete your profile by adding more details.
- Employment Status
- Job Title
- Company Size
- Type of Income
- Date of Birth
- Household Income Per Year
- Marital Status
- Do you have a computer with a webcam?
- Which internet browser(s) do you use?
- What computer operating system(s) do you use?
- What smartphone operating system(s) do you use?
- What tablet operating system(s) do you use?
After completing your profile, you’ll be able to browse available studies. While completing your profile, you must provide honest information. User Interviews will match studies depending on your profile information. You can edit your profile anytime.
How to Participate in Paid Research Studies?
You’ll get access to paid research studies as soon as you become a participant. From there, you’ll be able to apply for studies that interest you.
As you can see in the photo, many filtering options are available. Moreover, you can search for studies based on popular professions like Software, IT, Product Manager, CEO, Owner, and Data.
Do some scrolling to find which one is suitable for you. Before applying for a study, always inspect whether you’ll qualify for it.
When you click on a study, you’ll get to see all the details like:
- Study description
- Reward amount
- Completion time
If you’re confident that you’ll qualify for the study, hit the “Apply” button. After that, the researcher will review your application to see whether you’re the right person to participate in the study. In some studies, you’ll have to answer screener questions. If you’re selected, you’ll be able to participate in the study.
The researcher will provide specific participation instructions. If you comply fully, you’ll get paid by the researcher.
Many researchers are looking for specific demographic criteria and specific screener survey answers. For that reason, it’s unlikely that every study will be fit for everyone. According to User Interviews data and trends across the research industry, a single participant can expect to be invited to 1-2 studies every 6-months.
It implies you won’t get accepted for every study. Therefore, don’t think you’ll earn from every opportunity listed on the User Interviews. You’ll need to have patience as it’ll take time to get selected for a study.
Apart from applying for studies, you’ll receive emailed research studies from the User Interviews.
If you cannot participate in a study, you’ll be able to reschedule or cancel it. You’ll have to provide them with as much notice as possible.
They require at least 24 hours notice for any reschedules or cancelations to avoid a penalty or disqualification from participating in future studies.
Here’s how to reschedule the session:
- Log in to your account.
- Click “Messages” in the menu to open their chat tool, or select “Message Researcher” from the confirmation email.
- Select the project in reference from the drop-down menu.
- Click the text box, type “UNAVAILABLE” (all capital letters), and select “Send.”
- This will immediately remove your spot. You will be sent an email with a new link that includes available times.
- If one is a fit and is open, you may select it to reschedule yourself. Please note that rescheduled spots are not guaranteed.
When you reschedule your session, someone else can take the spot.
Here’s how to cancel the session:
- Log in to your account.
- In the top right-hand corner, click “Messages.”
- You’ll be taken to their messaging tool which connects participants with researchers. You are only allowed to message researchers of active studies you’re part of.
- Select the project from the drop-down menu that you want to cancel.
- Click the text box, type “UNAVAILABLE” (all capital letters), and select “Send.”
You’ll be automatically removed from the study and the researcher will receive a cancelation message.
What are the types of Research Studies available?
User Interviews is a market research company. Most of its studies are conducted either on the phone or via webcam video chat.
There are three study formats available, such as:
- In-Person: You’ll have to visit the site where the study will conduct.
- Over the Phone: You’ll participate in the studies over the phone call.
- Online: You’ll participate in the studies via video call. For that reason, you’ll need a webcam.
There are mainly four types of research studies available. The types of research studies will follow any of the study formats. In some studies, the researcher can follow two formats simultaneously.
- 1-on-1 Interview: The researcher will ask you questions on the video call or phone call. As a participant, you’ll answer the researcher’s questions.
- Focus Groups: The researcher will conduct the study with a group of people. The group can consist of 3-8 people. It depends on the researcher.
- Multi-Day Study: This type of study pay well. However, many participants avoid this type of study because the study takes several days to complete. I’ve seen a study that’ll take 52 weeks to complete.
- Unmoderated Task: This type of study pays less. You’ll fill out online surveys. You don’t have to schedule a meeting with the researcher. You’ll get paid for your feedback on various products and websites.
Primarily, User Interviews have these four types of studies available on its website.
How does User Interviews Referral Program Works?
User Interviews has a referral program for participants. If you don’t qualify for studies, you can make money using its referral program. You can refer friends to User Interviews in between participating in studies.
There are two ways to refer friends to User Interviews and both pay a two-way referral bonus:
- Referring to the participant community (Give $10 and Earn $10): You can refer friends to the participant community using your referral link. If they sign up with your referral link and complete a study, both will get $10.
- Referring to the featured study (Give $30 and Earn $30): You can refer a friend to the featured study topic that you think will be a good fit. If they apply using your referral link and complete the study, both will get $30.
For full details, click on this link.
User Interviews Best Practices
As I mentioned earlier, you won’t get selected for every study listed on User Interviews. A single participant can expect to get invited to 1-2 studies every 6 months.
You may be discouraged to join User Interviews. However, you can follow some of the best practices to get selected as a participant.
- Up-to-date Profile: User Interviews always match studies based on your profile information. Moreover, the researcher reviews your application by inspecting your profile. You need to keep your profile up to date, especially your job title.
- Sync Social Media Accounts: User Interviews encourage participants to sync their Facebook and LinkedIn accounts to increase their chances of being selected for studies. How does this affect your chances?
- Check Your Email: User Interviews match you with studies based on your profile information. They send an email to notify you. For that reason, you need to check your email to see whether you qualify for new studies.
- Respond Quickly: You’re not the only participant in User Interviews. Whenever you qualify for a study, apply as soon as possible. It’ll increase the chance of being selected for the study.
- Be Honest: As you may know, honesty is the best policy. User Interviews firmly recommend its users be truthful in their responses. You must provide honest information on your profile. Also, you’ll have to answer questionnaires with honesty. You’ll be suspended or flagged if you falsified profile or questionnaire.
- Update Location: Many researchers target specific demographic participants. If you move to a new city, update your location.
How do they pay their Participants?
Researchers can allow User Interviews to distribute incentives on their behalf. Also, researchers can distribute incentives themselves.
How do you know who is distributing your incentive? Follow the below steps:
- Log in to your account.
- Click the “My studies” tab.
- Choose your study.
- If the study says “via the choice of dozens of digital gift cards,” that means User Interviews is distributing your incentive.
- If the study’s incentive type is anything else, that means the researcher is distributing your incentive. The researcher can choose the incentive type for the study. This may be cash, PayPal, direct deposit, store gift card, Visa gift card, a check, a product, access to a free subscription, etc.
You’ll get paid within 10 business days. However, most incentives are issued within a day or two of a session. You don’t have to reach a threshold to withdraw your earnings.
Gift card options may vary by country. In the US, choose options like:
- Whole foods
- Southwest Airlines
For more details on incentive payment, click on this link.
How much can you make on User Interviews?
User Interviews studies pay well. Typically, you can earn between $10 to $50 per study.
How much can you make on User Interviews? To be honest, it depends on how many studies you complete.
As you know, you will not always get accepted to participate in paid research studies. Moreover, you don’t have any control over it. You can follow the best practices of User Interviews to increase your chances of being selected for studies.
My Verdict: You can earn around $10 to $50 per study you complete. However, the potential of earning is very stiff. You’ll not always get accepted to participate in paid research studies.
User Interviews Review: Pros & Cons
There is no doubt that User Interviews is a legit paid research platform. However, it has a few pros and cons.
- The signing process is easy.
- The pay rate is pretty decent.
- Responsive and helpful customer support.
- Referral program.
- You’ll get paid via PayPal or gift cards.
- There is no threshold to withdraw your earnings.
- They prefer participants from the US, Canada, Australia, the UK, France, Germany, and South Africa.
- You will not qualify for every study listed on the User Interviews.
User Interviews Alternatives
As you know, you will not qualify for every study listed in the User Interviews. In that case, you should look for User Interviews alternatives.
Here are a few User Interviews alternatives that’ll help you to make decent money.
Respondent is quite similar to User Interviews. It offers a similar service to User Interviews. You’ll get paid to share your knowledge and experience.
Their researchers are looking for business professionals of all kinds, such as:
- Software Developers (Average hourly incentive: $200)
- Marketers (Average hourly incentive: $150)
- Executives (Average hourly incentive: $700)
- Enterprise Software Users (Average hourly incentive: $750)
- Business Owners (Average hourly incentive: $500)
- Sales and Support (Average hourly incentive: $100)
The working process is similar to User Interviews. You’ll get paid via PayPal. It has a referral program for participants. You can invite friends to research studies that you think good fit.
FocusGroup.com is a part of Schlesinger which is a market research company. You’ll get paid for sharing your opinions and experiences on the products and services you use every day.
Apart from in-person studies, much of their research takes place online. If you love to test emerging products and services, FocusGroup.com is one of the best platforms.
Apart from online surveys, there are many more ways to earn money on FocusGroup.com, such as:
- Joining focus groups
- Personal discussions
- Web chats
- Video diaries
- Telephone conversations
- Product tests
- And many more
FocusGroup.com is an alternative to User Interviews. In my opinion, FocusGroup.com is a lot better research platform than User Interviews. Why? There are many earning opportunities available.
UserTesting is another alternative site to User Interviews. UserTesting offers online paid research studies. It doesn’t offer in-person paid research studies. You’ll get paid for sharing your perspective on the biggest brands, the latest technologies, and innovative companies.
You can expect to earn anywhere between $5 to $10 per test. The earnings depend on the test type. You’ll get to see the amount you’ll receive for each test. If you want to make money comfort of your home, UserTesting is one of the best platforms.
Fieldwork is a market research company that mostly runs in-person studies. They run nationwide paid market research studies. They welcome all types of people in all areas to participate in research studies. However, it’s only available in the US.
User Interviews is a legit market research company that’ll allow you to make extra money by participating in paid research studies.
As I mentioned earlier, you will not always get accepted to participate in paid research studies. For that reason, you should limit your expectations. Also, it’s not a platform that’ll make you rich.
I can guarantee if you get accepted and complete a study, you’ll make a decent amount. You should follow the best practices of User Interviews to increase your chances of being accepted in paid research studies.
Have you ever participated in paid research studies? What do you think about User Interviews? Let me know in the comment section!